Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Oh - How rude of me



Upon reflection, I feel remiss kicking off this blog with a post about an espresso machine, when really, the true workhorse of our coffee operation is, and will always remain, the roaster. Pictured above, this machine stands about as tall as I do (5'9 on a good day) and is just about the smallest commercial roaster you're ever likely to see. Batch size is limited to seven green pounds, although right now we are working with five pound batches.

It's also just about one of the simplest machines I've ever had to work with, and I can't tell you how grateful I am for that. Taking this thing apart involves about three tools, two of which are standard hex wrenches; and the cleaning is mostly about our shop vac and some high temp grease.

My brother came by the warehouse recently and mentioned, with youthful californian verve, that the roaster looked "hella steampunk," and I have to say that I agree. I think part of the charm of roasting coffee in small batches, and on this machine in particular, is that the technology is actually fairly old, which allows a lot of it to operate mechanically rather than electronically - hence the vaguely antique look of the machine (it was actually manufactured in the nineties).

So, boom. I hope everyone feels introduced. I have no cute, ironic or witty nicknames for this machine as yet, although I am accepting suggestions.

3 comments:

  1. I'm just trying to figure out how you get reverse negative digital photos. How arty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, nothing escapes you - That's mac photobooth - it's a kindness written into the program so that when I take pictures of myself (an occurance more frequent than I care to admit) I don't freak out because I'm used to my cowlick being on the otherside of my prominent forehead when I look in the mirror.
    Arian - yes. Also I would like to meet Reginalds 1 and 2 - probably a frying pan and a popcorn popper.

    ReplyDelete